Sunday, November 11, 2012

Mark "The Heart of the PBA" Caguioa


Last week, about 24hrs before the rare triple-header tips off, a poll was made for the fans to vote who they think the Face of the PBA is. Is it reigning PBA MVP Mark ‘The Spark’ Caguioa or ‘Big Game’ James Yap? 

At the end of the day, James Yap was only a few votes ahead of The Spark.


I can stand as a testament that not many Ginebra fans voted in that poll. The night before the Manila Clasico game was a bit quiet, in my opinion. Only a few of my ka-barangays who I usually chat with at night through Twitter were up and about. It was like the calm before the storm. Even Mr. Jaemark Tordecilla said that Ginebra fans aren’t big on internet polls. Sorry, we are a fanbase composed of the masses. Not all of us have the internet within our reach.
But let’s be honest, a poll can’t really be the basis of who the Face of the PBA is and I guess that’s also one of the reasons why not so many Gins fans took notice of it. 

Come game day, the crowd was cheering and jeering. The first ‘boo’ that I heard was strong and loud when James Yap touched the leather. When I heard that, I was like, ‘Mannn Barangay’s gone wild tonight’. And even I can feel myself booing James Yap but I didn’t do that cause I was alone and that’d look stupid.

After leading the game for the first few minutes, we fell behind and ended the first quarter with 7 points to run after. 

And then, the impossible happened. 

The Spark removed his protective eyewear. 


So that we can see a better look at the ‘Face of the PBA’, perhaps?

But kidding aside, I feared for Mark’s eyes. I know what might happen and I know it’s impossible to stop. I saw people tweeting about it, some with concern, some were just for laughs, 

‘Yan ang FACE of the PBA!’ 

‘Para daw makita ang CAGUIOA-puhan ng Face of the PBA’ 

And the jokes went on and on and on. But being a ka-barangay I knew deep down that those people were also worried for Mark, for his health, they were just trying keep it light. 

The commentators were saying that he removed it so that he can get a better view of the ring. And honestly, before he took it off, the shots weren’t falling for Mark nor his teammates. So many turnovers were committed as well. I felt like our ring was sealed or it shrunk to the size of a pea. 

He knew all along that something might happen to him. He knew that someone from the other team could easily reach in and make the mistake of poking his eyes instead of touching the ball. Or maybe an elbow from his defender may hit them without even meaning to. But did that stop him? Did that make him change his mind? No. 

That’s what makes Mark, for us Ginebra fans, the Face of the PBA. 

Oh wait, scratch that. 

That’s what makes Mark, for us Ginebra fans, the HEART of the PBA. 

A player who sacrifices everything and puts his own health in the line just to get a clear view of that damned ring. Just to get a basket. Just to get a win. Just to make the fans happy. Cause he knows that that’s his job. Well, he did a pretty good one. 

And for that, we thank you. I know that’s not even enough. 

I know that there are fans of other teams who also believe that Mark is the HEART of the PBA. Thank you for being able to see the heart that a player puts in every game. For seeing his efforts, his love for this game, his leadership and the fire that he brings in every game.
Isn’t it great, when people who aren’t even fans of your team is a fan of you as an individual player?

Mahal na Hari, you’ve made us proud, yet again. Even if we didn’t win that game, you showed us again why you are the MVP. You showed us again why you are the one and only Spark of this team. When you removed your glasses we didn’t just see your eyes, we saw your heart.

MARK “THE HEART OF THE PBA” CAGUIOA


No comments:

Post a Comment